Call us: (605) 692-3333

Our History

  • Slide Title

    OUR HISTORY

    Button

Boys & Girls Club of America History

  • In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start of a nationwide Movement and our national organization.

  • In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.

  • In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.

  • To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.

  • 2006 marked the Centennial year of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.

Boys & Girls Club of Brookings, Moody County & Yankton History

  • November 1, 2003: The Boys & Girls Club of Brookings opened its doors to 100 Club members. The first Club location was in a 7,000 sq. ft. building in the City Mall in downtown Brookings. 

  • September 1, 2007: The Boys & Girls Club opened its new 34,500 sq. ft. facility on Southland Lane, where we are currently located. The Club's capacity now accommodates approximately 350 Club members per day.  

  • December 1, 2007: The Boys & Girls Club of Moody County was opened in Eastman Hall. 

  • January 2008: The Boys & Girls Club of Yankton opened. 

  • 2010: The Corporation won the South Dakota Champion of Youth Award

  • July 1, 2011: The Boys & Girls Club of Yankton Units joined the Boys & Girls Club of Brookings Corporation.

  • August 8, 2011: The Boys & Girls Club of Moody County moved to their new location in the Extension building.

  • January 19, 2012: The Boys & Girls Club of Brookings Corporation was officially formed.
Share by: